Introducing Our Vedere Muse, Nyssa
1. Who are you & what are you most excited about at the moment?
I am Nyssa Isobel Johnston. Who am I? Oh gosh, that’s tricky. I’m forever learning and growing and finding out things about myself.
Most excited about my travels! Travelling is where I feel most content. I’m like a sponge, I love learning about different cultures, people, places and practices. These holidays I’ll be road tripping around Australia and then in July next year you’ll find me in NYC!
2. What is your favourite piece of jewellery & what story does it hold?
My favourite piece of jewellery is this little, silver, pinky ring with a knot on it. My mum and I got matching ones when we travelled to Myanmar, formerly known as Burma. There was this place called Inle Lake where half of the town lived on land and the other half on a lake. The people had built a whole town with shops and houses on stilts. We travelled by boat to one of the silversmiths there and got our rings made.
3. What’s the best advice that you’ve ever received?
Be kind to everyone.
4. What do you do / wear / seek out that makes you feel like the truest version of yourself?
Do: creating magic in my painting and drawing
Wear: red, velvet blazer which was an op-shop find
Seek out: like-minded people that I can surround myself with, learn and be inspired from
5. What are you reading or listening to at the moment?
Unfortunately, reading an abundance of uni material. But fortunately I can listen to music while I study. I’ll list below my current favourites but I always find myself listening to jazz while I study as it makes me calm.
- Mystery – jesse jo stark
- Girl in the picture – Kaiit
- Sober - Mahalia
6. We absolutely love following your Instagram account as we find your content so refreshing and real. What are three tips you can share with us for creating authenticity in the social media world?
1. Don’t accept products you don’t actually adore or wouldn’t buy if it wasn’t for a collaboration
2. Try not to plan specific days you want to take photos. Go out in your outfits like you usually would and if a moment comes snap it up!
3. Don’t be so harsh on yourself if a photo isn’t perfect. People follow you because they like the vibe and energy you give off. Post what represents you and what message you would like to see on social media.
7. Being in the modelling industry, do you feel this has had a positive impact on the relationship you have with yourself? How so?
Definitely! Modelling is not just about how you look. It’s about the art of moving and creating a mood to suit your clients vision. I also struggle with anxiety and have for, for quite some time now. Modelling has definitely helped me gain confidence. It puts you in a position in front of people where you have to perform and where you want to perform to the best of your ability, just like any other job. Although it is difficult at times, I’ve found the best strategy to deal with anxiety is by putting yourself in situations that make you feel uncomfortable. Anxiety is all about the “what ifs” and “buts” so by throwing yourself into situations, once completed you can be proud of yourself and learn that it wasn’t as tough as you thought.
8. YCL stands for Your Core Light. We would love to know what "Your Core Light" means to you?
For me, “Your Core Light” is an embodiment of who I am. This includes my values, how I treat others and how I treat myself. I strive to be kind, generous, accepting and loving. That is the light I want to shine to others.
9. What advice would you impart on the next generation of women?
Use your voice.